The first composition, earlier referred to as Composition 1, which should have been titled the Lady with the back, but soon after got the name, That Duck Just Made A Quack”, has now appropriately been called “The End of It”, probably because of it’s position as the first composition, and me starting writing about my compositions (irony).
I’m just writing a short update to the first blog post about composition 1
to make an update on the current mic situation and the process of recording it.
So far I have tried a cardioid condenser microphone with the Steinberg CI 1 interface and using Tracktion – that sounded bad.
I tried the pair of Shure SM57’s in XY position (dynamic condenser microphones) still using Tracktion – I didn’t like it! Also tried the Spaced Pair setup with those microphones – still didn’t like it.
I went back and tested out the SM57’s using my new Steinberg UR-RT2 interface and Cubase – I still didn’t like it!
Then I went back and tried the spaced pair setup you can see in the picture below, and I personally really like this setup.
This recording is without any mixing (both mics have the same gain), and without any post processing. The file is an mp3 with a 320k bit rate. I will look into post processing at some point, but first I should probably get a better piano (that is in tune).
Un an unrelated note, my mother has ordered me a Shure KSM32 microphone, which I’m looking extremely much forward too! It’s going to be interesting to hear the difference between the cheap AT2020’s and this microphone 😊. She’s the best mother, and I’m willing to compete with you, just send me a story of what your mom has done, and mine can top it!
I’m also looking for a new grand piano that can be tuned, has all it’s strings, and sounds a bit better.